Tuesday, August 5, 2008

When in Doubt, Dip it in Chocolate


{My own version of the "Black and White Cookie"}

After a week's worth of anticipation for Chocolate Covered Hi Hat Cupcakes, plans fell through and I didn't get to make them (to much disappointment from my family.) Next week they are getting made for sure!  So anyway, on Sunday I was hell bent on baking something, so I sifted through my Martha Stewart Cookies Cookbook and settled on Mini Black-and-White Cookies. Yum, right? WRONG. The dough came out super runny; it was like thick pancake batter. Adding a little more flour, I followed through with baking them, but once they came out of the oven, I knew they were doomed. They were like puffy-fluffy biscuits, which is not good texture for a cookie. So I fell back on an old standby; Martha's recipe for Clover Cookies. Instead of using the sanding sugar as a topping, I was going to follow through with the icing recipe for the black-and-white cookies. Again, doomed! The recipe called for lemon but after tasting it, all I could taste was the lemon. No, no, this just wouldn't work. What else is black and white? Chocolate chips and white chocolate chips you say? OK! So there you have it. My own version of a black-and-white cookie.

They actually turned out really cute and yummy. I've learned sometimes it's good if things don't turn out as planned - you can always make something your own by improvising! As for me, I think my new motto is: When in doubt, dip it in chocolate!


Cookies:
  • 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • Green sanding sugar

Directions

  1. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl; set aside. Combine butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment; cream on high speed until fluffy. Beat in eggs
  2. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two additions, mixing until well combined. Mix in vanilla. Divide dough in half, and cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out 1 piece of dough on a lightly floured work surface 1/8 inch thick. With a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out 25 rounds. Working with 1 round at a time, place clover stencil on top; sprinkle surface with sanding sugar.
  4. Arrange rounds on parchment- or nonstick baking mat-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes, or until ready to bake. Repeat process with remaining dough.
  5. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges just start to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
{Recipe from MarthaStewart.com}

Melt a batch of chocolate and a batch of white chocolate and spread half and half.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay comments!