Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chocolate-Covered Not-So-Hi Hats


Did I promise to post the cute AND the not-so-cute? Oh, I guess I did... well I guess these would fit under the category of not super cute, but almost cute and still pretty yummy. Monica came over to be a guest baker in my kitchen today for the highly anticipated Chocolate Covered Hi-Hat Cupcake Project. She gets thirsty when she bakes, so she brought Mimosa fixings with her...hey maybe that's why the cupcakes turned out the way they did... hehe. We had a good time, and it was a good learning experience. My double boiler really got put to use for these - three times! 

We started around 10:30 and we didn't finish up until around 2:30 (but mind you, there were the Mimosas.) The cake came out really good and moist. Monica started out shaky, but ended very strong on piping the homemade marshmallow filling. The only part we had real trouble with was dipping the whipped-topped cakes into the chocolate. We even put them in the freezer for a while to see if the filling would stiffen and let the chocolate coating cool longer, but it didn't help a lot. I think this is one of those recipes you really need to work at to perfect. The recipe called for them to be served cold, but cake just out of the fridge tastes dry. I found they tasted better if they sat out for a few minutes before eating. The chocolate gets melty, but that's ok. I took them over to my family's house for the Chargers game (they won!) and they were a hit. Funny how not-so-cute things can taste good too, huh? Who would have thought...



Also, there was some leftover chocolate, so I made some Muddy Buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay comments!