Monday, September 6, 2010

The Prettiest Thing I Ever Did See



I made this amazing Jell-O mold for a family Labor Day bbq.  And let me tell you.  It was worth the four hours it took to make it.  I just can't get over its beauty.  I've been wanting to make one for a while because of its mid-century qualities, and then I saw this on my Craft Magazine Daily e-mail and I knew I had to make one, like, NOW.



Behold its stripey amazingness!



Want to make  a jello mold? Well, first you have to have patience.  Second you have to have 9 or 10 boxes of Jell-O.  Mix each box with 1 1/4 cup boiling water. Pour your first  layer in the bundt pan, stick it in the refrigerator, and wait 15 to 20 minutes.  Gently pour your next layer of room-temperature Jell-O on top of that.  Repeat with each layer.  Yes, you have to wait 15 minutes between each layer.  For the opaque layers, add 2 tbs sour cream; or 1 tbs if you want to split up a color (half regular/half opaque).

A couple of tips:  I was really worried about it getting stuck in the pan.  You're supposed to put it in a bowl of warm water for 10 seconds to loosen/melt the outer layer a bit.  Mine slipped right out, along with quite a bit of melted Jell-O. Oops!  I'd say maybe 5 to 10 seconds next time.  And you can see it pulling away from the edge of the pan, while it is in the bowl.  Another thing, don't make all your flavors at one time.  I'd say maybe three at a time, making your next batch with enough time to cool completely before you pour it on the previous layer.

Now I know better for next time ... and there will be a next time.  Oh, and it was delicious.  There's always room for Jell-O!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay comments!