Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween + Dia de los Muertos


I was excited for halloween this year. I got to make lots of scary goodies for my work's halloween party and I carved TWO Martha Stewart pumpkins! My first one was better, but afer having an already terrible day, I set it down at the top of the stairs and having declared itself a loser for not winning the pumpkin carving contest, my pumpkin hurled itself all the way down and cracked in half at the bottom. Total bummer. Above, is my lesser detailed second attempt.

I was particularly excited about making brain cupcakes! The merengue buttercream frosting was a chore, but they turned out so cute and everyone knew they were brains!


A few weekends ago, my mother-in-law and I started a paper mache project for halloween. We were supposed to make these really cute little pumpkins, but it turned out to be more difficult than we thought. So, no, a first grader didn't make these, I did! It was my first time doing paper mache! Even though they didn't turn out the way we expected and they are pretty bad, they are still kinda cute, so here they are:


And lastly, the actual day of Halloween was a sad one for us. It was our dia de los muertos. Our first ever and best kitty, Miette, got very sick due to fatty liver disease. While we thought we cured her and she had two good weeks, in the end it recured and we knew it was her time to go. My heart aches when I think I will never see her again. And I know it will make me sad every time I see this posting, I can't help it. I love looking at her! She had so much personality and her absence will leave a huge void in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay comments!